Ege University Center for Environmental Studies was established according to the decision (dated Jan 23, 1990 and registered as 1/7) made by Ege University Senate and approval (dated Nov 30, 1990) of the Council of Higher Education. Directive of our center published in the Official Journal and entered into force on Dec 20, 1990 (Article no: 20731). And Prof. Dr. A. Munir OZTURK from the Biology Department was appointed as the founder and Director.
While the Center continued applied studies confronting environmental problems, education and training were taken into consideration. Therefore application related to the establishment of Environmental Sciences Division was made. Therefore following the application the Council of Higher Education (YOK) directors council assessed the application and decided to establish the ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCES Division within the organization of Ege University Institute of Natural and Applied Sciences according to the directive covering higher education, training, their administration and operation on Feb 25, 1994. Since then the Center has been giving higher education on multidisciplinary basis.
FIELDS OF STUDY
Amongst the various tasks are;
• To carry out scientific researches towards implication, to develop techniques for solving related problems,
• To prepare master plans and projects for environmental problems of both state and private sectors as facilities or have them prepared and act as consultant for land use decisions,
• To carry out supplementary works, to establish standards, to prepare scientific reports,
• To serve as technical consultant on subjects like, technology transfers and feasibility reports,
• To support and contribute studies being carried out at different departments the university aiming to solve environmental problems,
• To support studies educating and training future scholars of environmental sciences and to establish circumstances to have this available,
• To carry on cooperative a studies and to share knowledge with related institutions and centers in and abroad,
• To support studies on environmental studies publishing, accelerating, share knowledge, informing the public and to do this, establishing educational programs, organizing seminars, courses, conferences, publications and certificating the attendants,
• To give education and training, to organize exchanges of scholars within related fields both from abroad and to.