About the Environment Center
Ege University Environmental Problems Application and Research Center was established with the approval of the Ege University Senate dated 23.01.1990, numbered 1/7 and the approval of the Higher Education Council dated 30.11.1989. The Regulation of our Center was published in the Official Gazette dated 20.12.1990 and numbered 20731 and entered into force. Founding Director of the Center is Dr. A. Münir ÖZTÜRK from E.Ü. Faculty of Science, Department of Biology..
Our center focused on the necessity of education and training while continuing its applied studies on environmental problems, so that the work done in accordance with the organization and operation regulations of the graduate education institutes, it was decided by the Executive Board of YÖK on 25.02.1994 to open the Department of Environmental Sciences within the Institute of Science and Technology. As of this date, graduate program has started in our center. This program, which started in the fall semester of 1994-1995, is being carried out in a multidisciplinary manner.
The vision of our center is to become an institution by gaining a more corporate identity and to become an institution capable of leading the solution of environmental problems, primarily the Aegean Region.
To produce information with national and international theoretical and practical studies within the scope of environment and its problems, to create social awareness and to train environmental experts in this equipment.
PURPOSE AND WORK AREAS
As a result of pressures on natural and cultural environmental values, human beings are concerned about the effects of ecological pressures, namely land degradation, water, atmosphere and forest factors on economic expectations. As a result, ecology and economics are increasingly interconnected, and this is becoming a network of influence-response networks, all locally, regionally, nationally and globally.
Nowadays, the world adopts the necessity of meeting the needs of today, without compromising the ability of the next generations to meet their own needs, since it is possible to achieve development without harm to the environment by adopting the principle of "continuous and balanced development". As a result, in line with this view, which aims to protect the environment and natural resources without reducing prosperity, global targets have been determined with international agreements, while on the other hand, countries at regional scale have initiated policies, plans and programs to solve problems arising from their local conditions.
Our Center has been carrying out its works with national and international projects by adopting the principle of continuous and balanced development based on the aim of looking for ways to meet the needs and expectations of the future without compromising the needs and expectations of the future in line with the following objectives since its establishment;
• To carry out scientific and practical researches in various fields related to environmental problems, to develop techniques for solving problems, to prepare or have prepared projects related to environmental problems to public and private enterprises, to contribute in setting standards, to give scientific reports, to prepare technology transfer and to prepare feasibility reports and carry out technical consulting services,
• Promote and support scientific and technical research and practices in various areas of the university related to the solution of environmental problems,
• Encourage the education and training of university students and students in the field of environmental problems, and prepare the necessary environment and facilities for the realization of this.
• To cooperate and exchange information with similar organizations and centers at home and abroad,
• To organize training programs, seminars, courses and conferences in order to encourage the public in the field of environmental problems, to promote information, to accelerate the exchange of information and to give publicity, to issue certificates and to publish articles,
• The objectives such as short-term or long-term domestic and international relations, which aim to educate or increase the knowledge can be summarized within this scope.
It is well known that these objectives can be demonstrated and achieved in the same way as in any democratic environment, but only through the production of information, through legislative, executive, judicial, media and civil society organizations. Therefore, our center pays special attention to the production of knowledge in a very specialized manner in accordance with the nature of the environmental phenomenon in every location and condition. Thus, it will be much more realistic to raise public awareness and improve environmental awareness.